Thursday, November 7, 2013

DIY Personalized Mardi Gras Bead Ornaments

I hope you don't mind Christmas before Thanksgiving, but I'm on a role with Christmas ornaments this year. This is my 2nd post in 2 days using ornaments, but I can't help it, I love them! Also, I plan on doing a few more DIY Christmas decorations. I want to do a completely homemade decorated Christmas tree this year and I can't wait to see what our Christmas tree looks like. Anyways, I came up with these personalized Christmas ornaments using dollar store mardi gras beads and clear ornaments from Oriental Trading, and a little bit of tulle. I think they turned out cuter than I imagined!


You will need the following items to make these: (Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of everything you need before I started making these)

Clear Ornaments
Tulle (Your choice of colors)
Mardi Gras Beads (Your choice of colors)
Shredded Tinsel (Your choice of colors)
Ornament Hooks
Hot Glue Gun
Scissors

Ok, so the first thing you are going to want to do is fill your ornaments with tinsel, it's easier than it looks, I promise. Grab a small handful and separate it from the rest of the pile...


Bunch it together, I twist it up lightly, almost like spaghetti, but not too tightly...


Press your tinsel ball into half of the ornament...


Then put the other half of the ornament on, almost closed, but not quite, you'll have some pieces of tinsel sticking out, and that's ok....


Now, lightly pull out the extra pieces, this will help unravel the little ball of tinsel that you created to get the tinsel in the ornament, giving it a pretty look inside....



I did 3 different colors...


Now, cut apart your mardi gras beads...


And hot glue those cut-apart beads along the seam of the ornament...






Once you have glued them all, cut apart your strips of tulle. I used 6" rolls of tulle, and cut them in 20" strips...


Now, tie them in a knot, then into a bow, then "flatten out" or "spread out" the wings of the bow...




You're almost done! Now you will want to put a small dot of hot glue at the top of the ornament and glue the knot of the bow down on the ornament....


Finally, using a sharpie color of your choice, personalize the ornament, and then add the ornament hook and you're done! See! Easy peasy! :)




I hope you and your family and friends enjoy them! I hope mine do too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment