Thursday, June 13, 2013

DIY Playdough

Well, this is actually the 4th activity we have done this week, but only the 2nd activity that I could make a post on. Monday was our 1st activity of the summer where we printed, colored, and cut out our own jigsaw puzzles. Tuesday we went to our local splash pad and had a blast getting soaked in this 100+ degree whether. Yesterday was "library day" (which we will do every Wednesday). We went to our local library's story time and listened to books and sang some songs. The kids even got to climb on some tractors that were out front just for the kids! Then afterward I took the kids to a park before we came home for lunch.

Now we're on to day 4 and today we made play dough!!! I have actually made lots of different play dough recipes over the past couple of years thanks to Pinterest. I don't have my own recipe, so I thought I would just share with you a couple of the recipes I have tried and my opinions on them.

This is the recipe we used today, coming from ehow.com:

(pic from ehow.com as well)

This one was VERY easy to make. I was even more excited that I had everything already at home to make this play dough. It's always a plus for me when I don't have to go to the store. I cut this recipe in half so that I could make as many colors as possible with the amount of salt that I had at home. 4 colors total. It took me less than 5 minutes to make each color and clean up was a breeze! I would recommend this recipe to anyone! 


This next recipe is a Jello Play Dough recipe that I found through Pinterest as well, which leads back to iheartnaptime.net.

(pic from iheartnaptime.net as well)

I was soooooo excited when I first found this recipe. I have even made the cookies quite a few times and they are absolutely addictively delicious!!! Yes, you read right, this recipe is for cookies AND for play dough! Now, with this one, I know that she let her kids play with the play dough before making them into cookies, however, that just didn't seem sanitary or very healthy to eat the cookies after my kids spent time making sure every last germ from their hands, face, and other surfaces of their body were in those cookies. Not appetizing at all. So I made them the play dough and stored it for them when they weren't playing with them. ***WARNING*** I stored this play dough at room temperature and after about 10 days, they play dough developed a mold. This is the only play dough I have ever had this problem with. Maybe if you store it  in the fridge it will last longer? Just beware, this play dough will develop mold in a short period of time. However, on the upside, it is also very easy to make and makes the house and your kids smell soooooo good! 

Have fun playing! I know my kids did and still are as we speak!

No comments:

Post a Comment