Sunday, March 24, 2013

Book Of Mormon Reading Train

Just a few short weeks ago, we started reading the Book of Mormon as a family. Out of the 5 of us, there are only 3 that can read. So the two youngest just sit and listen. Well, mostly. I wanted to give my children a type of reward for reading the Book of Mormon, but a regular reading chart can seem over whelming to children, and I also think that they could become easily discouraged. Therefore, giving them a large reward at the end, like an ice cream party or something like that, wouldn't be enough to keep them excited about reading. So I came up with this train.


I designed it so the children get a reward every time we finish a chapter, and not only that, but I also made it so we can cross off each verse that we read so they can see how close they are to their reward. Also, I designed it that way because we only read a few verses each night. I think our children are still too young to sit still for a full chapter or more sometimes. The nice thing too, is most of the rewards are free, simple, and things you can do right at home, right after you've finished the chapter. For those rewards that require a little more time, planning, and maybe even money, you can set them aside for a future family night or something to do on a Saturday.

Even though we have already started the Book of Mormon, and are actually in 1 Nephi 4, I am still starting the train reward system tonight, so we will have 4 activities/rewards to catch up on. I know my kids are going to be so excited! They are already loving seeing the train on display on top of our book shelves in the living room already. Below is a small tutorial, and sorry about some of the pictures of the finished project. It's kind of a long train, and it was hard to get a good shot of it all.

For this, you will need the following:

*The Train Templates, printed onto card stock (At the end of this post)
*The Chapter Templates & The Verse Templates, printed onto card stock (Also, at the end of this post)
*Markers, this is optional, you don't have to color the train if you don't want to, or hey, get your children involved in making this train and have them color it!
*Scissors
*Jumbo Popsicle Sticks
*Hot Glue Gun & Extra Glue Sticks
*1-17 Candle Holders (I got mine at our local dollar store; you don't have to have 1 for each chapter, you could just have 2, one for the engine, and one for the chapter you are currently reading. This will save you room for displaying the train in your house. I personally like to have it all on display. Also, if your candle holders aren't big enough, you will need to candle holders for Alma, like I did.)

Bare with me, this post is very simple and to the point, but I have been excited to share this with you for a very long time now, and I'm anxious to make it available to you!

So, the first thing you need to do is color and cut out your train and train cars:


Next, cut out all of the chapter templates (but the chapter templates ONLY for right now) and hot glue them to the popsicle sticks. You can also use tape or elmer's glue, but I have a thing for the hot glue gun and I use it on almost everything!




Once you have cut and glued all the chapters, then you want to start on the verses templates. But, this is where is gets tricky. In the program I used, I didn't have room on most of the verses templates to include what chapter that go with each of the verses. I put them all in order of the templates, but to be safe, I would cut and glue one book at a time as you go, if that makes sense. If it doesn't, please feel free to email me and ask away! I'll try to help you as best as I can.



Now that you are done gluing everything, put each set of sticks into their coordinating train cars (candle holders)...oh and use tape, mounting putty, or the hot glue to apply the train engine and train cars to the candle holders.

Have fun reading, and remember to color in the numbers on the verses side of the popsicle sticks to show how far you are coming along in each chapter! I can't wait to do ALL of these activities with my children!




Here are the templates you will need, just copy and paste each picture into a word program on your computer and print!

The Chapter Templates:












Here are some blank chapter templates, in case you want to make up your own family activities:













Here are the verses templates:













Finally, here is the train templates, you may need to resize them in your words program to help fit the candle holders you purchased for your train:














4 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea!!! I have been trying to think of an idea to get my kiddos to sit down and read the bible with me,this is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm so impressed! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You for posting this. I am excited to use it. Do you have the Jarom box car template by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jarom is missing, but I think I can make it--thanks for everything. I'm using it in my Primary class this year

    ReplyDelete