Thursday, November 1, 2012

"Thank You" Turkey

Hey Everyone! Welcome to November! I absolutely LOVE this time of year! I love sweater weather...hot chocolate...time with family....cuddling on the couch with my hubby....gift giving....thinking of others...Thanksgiving Dinner....and of course, celebrating our Savior's birth! I have so many things to be grateful for! Which is exactly where this next creation came from! I wanted to create something for our family to help us show how grateful we are. I knew I wanted to do some kind of countdown, so I first thought of an advent calendar...and I found some really cute ones online. However, the idea struck me of putting feathers on the turkey! So here we have the "Thank You" Turkey...


As you can see....our little turkey here is a little bare...and I'm sure quite cold. So, for every day this month, all the way through the 30th, we are going to help warm up our turkey by giving him warm feathers of gratitude. I cut out 1 feather for each member of our family for every day of the month of November, Including today! Each night, we'll sit down as a family, each pick a feather, and write down something we are grateful for. Hopefully we can each think of something different everyday. It will be challenging at times I am sure, but it will also give us over 100 different things that we are grateful for and really help us to see just how blessed we are!

I know this is technically late for those of you who want to make this...but you can always make the feathers today to start with, and work on your turkey later. Here is a small tutorial on how to make your turkey and what you will need to do so:

What you will need:

1 Foam Poster Board (This is optional, its just what I used so he would be sturdy and last through the years...yes I intend to make this a family tradition in our home.
Brown, Red, Orange & Yellow Construction Paper
A Sharpie
Colored Pencils
Yarn
Feather Template (Below) Printed onto White Cardstock
Scissors
1 Large Bowl
1 Small-Medium Sized Bowl
A Quarter
Tape
Exacto Knife


Ok, so you first step will be to make your turkey's body using your sharpie, the 2 bowls and, the foam poster board...
 
 
Using the smaller bowl, center it near the top and trace around the entire bowl with your sharpie onto the foam poster board...
 
 
Next, center the larger bowl at the bottom of the small circle that you just drew...
 

Now you have a head and a body...


Now, using the quarter, make his toes/claws...

 
 
Now draw his face...I freehanded mine...
 
 
Next, print and cut out your feather template...
 
 


Cut off the end of the feather of one of your templates so you can create the line on your feathers...


Trace your feathers onto the colored construction paper...




Now write "Thank You" Turkey across his belly...


Now let's give your turkey some color by shading him in with colored pencils...



Now, using the exacto knife, cut out your turkey from the foam poster board. It will be slightly challenging...but trust me, the exact knife is way easier and creates neater cuts...





Now, turn your turkey over and tape a string of yarn to the back, however long you want it to be, depending on where you will be hanging him...

 


Now, each day as you write what you are thankful for on the feathers...you can tape the feathers to the back, obviously this turkey below doesn't have ALL the feathers on him yet, but believe me, he will have one VERY FULL tail when this month is over! Oh I can't wait to start!!!

 



HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! Hope you have a wonderfully grateful month!!!



 
 
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment