Friday, July 20, 2012

School Lunch Menu Board

 

I'm back! Sorry it's been so long since I have done a REAL post, but life has just been WAY too crazy this summer and I can't wait for school to start to hopefully get my life back into some kind of order. Thinking about school, actually, is what led me to this post. My oldest is getting ready to start first grade this fall, which means she will be eating lunch at school. I totally fell in love with the idea of having her eat school lunch, that is until I saw a sample menu of some of the stuff the children eat. Don't get me wrong, the school's are trying so hard to make school lunch more healthy for children, but I know that my daughter won't eat a third of what they make for those kids.

However, with that being said, I wanted to give my daughter the benefit of the doubt and give her a choice...school lunch? Or take a lunch to school? She immediately chose taking a lunch to school, which presented me with a whole new dilemma, what in the world can I make for her that would be healthy, good hot, cold or room temp, and would be easy to make and eat??? The only things that came to mind were sandwiches or lunchables. Well I didn't want to spend the money on lunchables and I knew lunchable wouldn't be enough to keep her full until school let out. I also didn't want to send her to school with a sandwich everyday either.

So I did some digging, searching, and creative thinking and came up with 5 categories and compiled 100 recipes! I'm totally excited about these 100 recipes, because we are starting to crack down on a tighter budget, which means cut backs in certain areas (like my husband eating out every day for lunch). These recipes are great for kids AND my husband is excited about eating them for lunch too. Now I will be able to send my daughter and my husband to school and work with their own healthy lunches each day and hopefully be able save a little money along the way.

I narrowed the 100 recipes down into 5 categories, mostly to make it easier for me to find easy recipes for lunches. (Oh and just in case you were wondering, these 100 recipes are completely new and do not show up in the Menu Board Files or the CyberSpecialties recipes.) No more mac n cheese, corn dogs, frozen pizza, ravioli, and pb and j everyday everyweek for lunch. Here are the 5 categories and their 100 recipes:


Monday Muffins: (The muffins I figured was a great way to get healthy food into my family's bodies, they are relatively cheap, and can be eaten at room temperature, so having to pack an ice pack or worry about food getting cold is not a problem here. Also, I can make the dough the night before and just pop them into the oven first thing in the morning so no one is getting day old muffins and I don't have to wake up to terribly early to get them finished before school.)

1. Raspberry Corn Muffins
2. Zucchini Muffins
3. Blueberry & Banana Muffins
4. Carrot Muffins
5. Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
6. Bran Muffins w/ Dried Apples
7. Pear & Granola Whole Wheat Muffins
8. Bran Suprise Muffins
9. Savory Sausage, Cheese & Oat Muffins
10. Corn Dog Bites
11. Apricot Wheat Germ Muffins
12. Banana Bran Muffins
13. Carrot Banana Muffins
14. Date-Oat Muffins
15. Honey & Goat-Cheese Filled Fig Muffins
16. Jam-Filled Almond Muffins
17. Orange-Date Pumpkin Muffins
18. Pineapple Upside Down Muffins
19. Lemon Cranberry Muffins
20. Strawberry Orange Muffins

Tuesday Twisters: (These are all recipes surrounding roll ups and wrap, so simple for kids and so tasty for adults too!)

1. Turkey Tortilla Roll Ups
2. Ham & Swiss Roll Ups
3. Bacon, Ham & Cheese Roll Ups
4. Pizza Roll Ups w/ Dipping Sauce
5. Broccoli Roll Ups
6. Ham & Swiss Rueben Roll Ups
7. Creamy Tortilla Roll Ups
8. Smoke Ham & Pineapple Salsa Roll Ups
9. American Ham & Turkey Roll Ups
10. Cajun Chicken Roll Ups
11. Easy Cheesy Roll Ups
12. Crunchy Fig Newton Chicken Salad Roll Ups
13. Blueberry Waffle Roll Ups
14. Sushi Style Vegetable Roll Ups
15. Cheesy Hot Dog Flautas
16. Carrot-Raisin Pinwheels
17. Black Bean Pinwheels
18. Peanut Butter Spirals
19. Pizza Tortilla Roll Ups
20. Smokie Wraps w/ Honey Dijon Dipping Sauce

Wednesday Wedges: (Of course there should be some days with sandwiches! They are among the easiest and fastest lunches to make!)

1. Peanutty Apple Sandwiches
2. Double-Decker Apricot Turkey Sandwiches
3. Mini Cheeseburger Bites
4. Crazy Critter Bagel Sandwiches
5. Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich
6. Grilled Ham & Cheese Waffle Sandwich
7. Baby Pb & J Bagel Sandwiches
8. Grilled Cream Cheese Sandwiches w/ Fig & Honey
9. Ham & Cheese Toasted Sandwich
10. Peanut Butter & Banana Waffle Sandwich
11. Cinnamon Toasted Strawberry Cream Cheese Sandwich
12. Trail Mix Sandwich
13. Tuna Fish Sandwich
14. Peachy Chicken Salad Sandwich
15. Turkey & Provolone Sandwich
16. Peanut Butter & Honey Sandwich
17. Breaded Chicken Sandwich
18. Grilled Honey-Lime Chicken Sandwich
19. Grilled Ham, Cheese & Pineapple Sandwich
20. Turkey, Cranberry, & Cream Cheese Sandwich

Thursday Throw-Togethers: (All of these pasta salad recipes would all be great hot, cold or room temperature and are cheap and filling!)

1. Ranch Turkey Pasta Salad
2. Italian Pasta Salad
3. Broccoli & Chicken Pasta Salad
4. Italian Chicken Pasta Salad
5. Chicken & Blueberry Pasta Salad
6. Cold Macaroni Salad w/ Hot Dogs
7. Honey Mustard Pasta Salad
8. Pepperoni Caesar Pasta Salad
9. Mexicali Pasta Salad
10. Bacon, Egg & Cheese Pasta Salad
11. Tuna Ranch Pasta Salad
12. Garlic & Green Onion Pasta Salad
13. Sweet & Sour Pasta Salad
14. Soccer Salad
15. Cold Tuna Macaroni Salad
16. Easy Tortellini Salad
17. Citrusy Pasta Salad
18. Sesame Chicken Pasta Salad
19. Avocado Basil Pasta Salad
20. Broccoli, Grape & Pasta Salad

Friday Finger Foods: (These are all kabob recipes, but you can always just put them together in a dish and they can eat them with their fingers! Although, it had been my experience, that kids almost always eat anything you put on a stick.)

1. Pizza Kiddie Kabobs
2. Ranch Chicken Kabobs
3. Pasta & Meatball Kabobs
4. Polynesian Chicken Kabobs
5. Berry Pound Cake Kabobs
6. Fruity French Toast Kabobs
7. Banana Bites Kabobs
8. Apple Peanut Butter Crisp Kabobs
9. Club Kabobs
10. Roast Beef & Cheese Kabobs
11. Honeyed Strawberry Banana Kabobs
12. Chicken Kabobs w/ Chili Orange Glaze
13. Salmon & Plum Kabobs
14. Coconut Chicken Pineapple Kabobs
15. Breakfast Kabobs w/ Yogurt Dip
16. Chicken & Asparagus Kabobs
17. Cupid's Kabobs
18. Grilled Fruit Kabobs
19. Apricot Sausage Kabobs
20. Fruit N' Cake Kabobs

Now, here is the "tutorial", it will be extremely short as you can find detailed step by step instructions in the original menu board tutorial here:
Menu Board Tutorial Part I
Menu Board Tutorial Part II
Menu Board Tutorial Part III

The only difference in the tutorials is that for the School Lunch Menu Board, you only need 5 colors of cardstock and only 12 pages of each color. So So SO simple! Oh and you will need the School Lunch Menu Board Files, which you can purchase for $5.00 by clicking on this buy now button below. (Also, in case I forgot to mention, these do come in Word form, PDF form and will include title pages, recipe title cards, the recipes, date numbers and calendar month strips.)



Now I have 2 Menu Boards....one for our family dinner meals, and one for school lunches, it might bother some people and they would like to combine their board I am sure, but I like the idea of having 2. I like feeling just that much more de-cluttered and more organized!


As always if you have any questions, please feel free to email me. Please don't leave questions in the comments box below, I don't know how to let you know your answer unless you leave your email address. Here is mine: robbygurlscreations@gmail.com. I am usually on my computer a few times a day and check my email often through my phone. So you should recieve a fairly quick response. Also, click HERE for School Lunch Menu Board packages up for purchase if you don't want to purchase just the files or make your own! Have a great day and a healthy, easy, and organized school year!!!

4 comments:

  1. Where can I find the email copy of the school lunches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must purchase them for the $5.00 first, and then I will email them to you when I get the confirmation from Paypal. The "Buy Now" button is just above these comments, its the first "buy now" button you come to in this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you also sell the dinner menu recipes?

    ReplyDelete