Friday, February 10, 2012

Buying Foods in Their Seasons

I have been thinking the last couple of days that I really need to find out when certain fruits, vegetables and fish are in season so that I can plan my meals accordingly. Granted you can find anything out of season, but you might as well cut off your arm and your leg as payment to your local grocery store or farmer for the extra time and money they have to put in for special growing circumstances. My two biggest reasons for trying to find this list was because my husband and I LOVE halibut, but buying out of season is just not worth the price. Also, strawberries are my absolute favorite fruit, but buying them out of season is expensive and buying them frozen just isn't the same. So here is a list I found at www.wisebread.com


January

Vegetables:

Cabbages
Leeks
Broccoli
Cauliflower

Fruits:

Oranges
Grapefruit
Tangerines
Tangelos
Lemons
Papayas

February

Vegetables:

Broccoli
Cauliflower

Fruits:

Oranges
Grapefruits
Lemons
Papayas

March

Vegetables:

Broccoli
Lettuce

Fruits:

Pineapples
Mangoes

April

Vegetables:

Zucchini
Rhubarb
Artichokes
Asparagus
Spring peas
Broccoli
Lettuce

Fruits:

Pineapples
Mangoes

May

Vegetables:

Okra
Zucchini
Rhubarb
Artichokes
Asparagus
Spring peas
Broccoli
Lettuce

Fruit:

Cherries
Pineapples
Apricots

June

Vegetables:

Corn
Lettuce

Fruit:
Watermelon
Strawberries
Cantaloupe
Cherries
Blueberries
Peaches
Apricots

July

Vegetables:

Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Summer Squash
Corn
Green beans
Lettuce

Fruits:

Watermelon
Strawberries
Cantaloupe
Blueberries
Peaches
Apricots
Kiwi
Raspberries
Plums

August

Vegetables:

Cucumbers
Corn
Eggplant
Tomatoes
Summer Squash
Green Beans
Lettuce

Fruits:

Watermelon
Strawberries
Cantaloupe
Blueberries
Peaches
Apricots
Kiwi
Raspberries
Plums

September

Vegetables:

Eggplants
Pumpkins
Tomatoes
Spinach
Lettuce

Fruits:

Grapes
Pomegranates

October

Vegetables:

Sweet Potatoes
Pumpkins
Winter Squash
Broccoli
Spinach Lettuce

Fruits:

Cranberries
Apples
Pomegranates
Grapes

November

Vegetables:

Pumpkins
Winter Squash
Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli
Mushrooms
Spinach

Fruit:

Cranberries
Oranges
Tangerines
Pears
Pomegranates

December

Vegetables:

Sweet Potatoes
Mushrooms
Broccoli
Cauliflower

Fruit:

Pears
Oranges
Grapefruit
Tangerines
Papayas
Pomegranates

The author of this article also goes on to say: "Bananas, potatoes and celery seem to always be in season. For bananas, at least, I think it's because they have to be shipped into just about everywhere. There are a few holes in this list, admittedly. I didn't find a clear season for carrots, parsnips and a few other vegetables and fruits."

As to when to find halibut in season, I went this THIS website to find out when. You can go there to find out certain seasons of fish, and according to the author of the article:

"March 8 was the opening of wild Alaskan halibut season. Prices tend to start out high, level off and then climb again in the fall, Englade says. And Smith warns that halibut prices are likely to be higher this year than last, because the quotas have been reduced."

I hope this helped everyone out! I know it did for me! If there is a fruit or vegetable missing on this list that you would like to know about, email me and I will find it for you and add it to this list!




No comments:

Post a Comment