Saturday, June 25, 2011

Strawberry Muffins

So I was in the mood to feed my kids something for breakfast other than cereal, pop tarts, or pancakes. So I looked around for what I had, and decided to make Strawberry Muffins using what I had left of a bag of frozen strawberries. I'm not a person who can come up with a recipe on her own (although I've never really tried). I just find a recipe and add or take from it to kind of make it my own. This recipe I found from allrecipes.com, and using suggestions from others on the recipe and adding a bit more that I thought should be there....I came up with these delicious muffins! I hope you enjoy them! They are AMAZING!!!



I've never gone into this much detail in a recipe before...but since this is one of my first times "creating" my own recipe, I felt the need to explain it step by step so you can get the exact muffins that I created.

Ok, first here are the ingredients....

1 3/4 C. Flour (Packed...I will explain later)
1/2 C. White Sugar
1/4 C. Packed Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 C. Vegetable Oil
1 C. Milk
1 Egg
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 C. Chopped Strawberries
Cinnamon Sugar to taste

Before you begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees for regular muffin tins, or 350 for dark muffins tins.

1. First, chop your frozen (or fresh) strawberries into tiny bite size pieces. Then set aside so they can dry a bit. This should help the strawberries not be too mushy in your muffins.

2. With a fork, sift together flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Continue sifting until the brown sugar is broken up well.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, milk, and egg. Add to dry mixture and stir until lump-free and smooth. The mixture will be a little thick.

4. Now, using 2 paper towels folded together to create a double layer, pat dry your strawberries to help take away some of the moisture. I found this helped reduce the "mushiness" in the recipe as well as taking away some of the "red" color so as not to dye the muffins.

5. If you are not using muffin papers, then be sure to spray your muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.

6. Fill your muffin tins 1/2-3/4 full with muffin batter.

7. Using your fingers, sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the tops of the batter. Do this to taste...I was rather generous with mine :). While baking, this will create a very nice crust for the muffins and spread a wonderful smell throughout your home.

8. Place muffins in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, for regular muffin tins; or 20 minutes for dark muffin tins.

9. Before removing from oven, insert toothpick to test doneness.



10. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing.

I hope you all enjoy! Because my kids and I certainly did! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment