Saturday, March 19, 2011

Young Women Manual 2: Lesson 41 - Optimism

Well after all those years of being in the primary, Darin and I were finally released and I was called to serve as Mia Maid advisor in the Young Women's program. Talk about being scared and excited at the same time. I was excited about working with the youth...but was scared at the same time.

I suddenly felt like I was going to highschool all over again. I was worried about my looks, about the things I would say, about whether or not the girls would like me...wow. I never thought I would ever worry about that stuff again until that calling. My first lesson, go figure, was on Optimism. I'll tell you what, I sure got optimistic about the lesson. So much in fact that I think I went over board.

I put so much time, effort, and materials into that lesson and I don't think the girls even really got a chance to see what I had created...at least not enough to understand it's purpose in the lesson. I ended up feeling pretty foolish about everything that I created, but I think they got the message about being optimistic. LOL.

I thought after that lesson that I had learned that I shouldn't put that much time and effort into my lessons....of course as you will see in my posts, I don't ever learn from my "mistakes".

The reason for the black posterboards was to create a dreary and dark atmosphere. I actually started out the lesson with all the girl sitting in a almost completely pitch black classroom. I even wore dark colors. It was all intended for the girls to feel how depressing it is to have to sit in the dark to read, write, listen or learn. Then when I started talking about optimism. I had the girls help me turn over the posters to reveal optimistic things and helps to make them happy. And of course we turned the lights back on to.

Here are pictures of the posters I created for the lesson, along with the handouts I made using the poem from the lesson by Emily Dickinson.

This first postboard has the sun, moon, and stars, featuring quotes that I myself have kept written down to help lift my spirits when I am feeling less than optimistic.



The quotes say:

"Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks."
--Author Unknown (Quote on the Rainbow)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
-- Maria Robinson (Quote on the Sun)

"Accentuate the positive. Eliminate the negative."
--Author Unknown (Quote on the Moon)

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
--Jesus Christ (John 14:27) (Quote on the large Star)

"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road."
--Sol Gordon (Quote on the Snowflake)



The second posterboard presents the 6 "Bees" given to the youth by President Gordon B. Hinkley. Also picture on the posterboard is a picture of President Gordon B. Hinkley and a quote by him as well.

The quote reads: "In my ninety-plus years, I have learned a secret. I have learned that when good men and good women face challenges with optimism, things will always work out! Truly, things always work out! Despite how difficult circumstances may look at the moment, those who have faith and move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out."



The third poster board is the Young Women's Moto (Stand For Truth and Righteousness), the Young Women's Torch, and the eight values and what they mean.

Here are what the values mean:

Faith: "I am a daughter of Heavenly Father, who loves me. I have faith in His eternal plan, which centers on Jesus Christ, my Savior.

Divine Nature: "I have inherited divine qualities, which I will strive to develop."

Individual Worth: "I am of infinite worth with my own divine mission, which I will strive to fulfill.

Knowledge: "I will continually seek opportunities for learning and growth."

Choice & Accountability: "I will choose good over evil and will accept responsibility for my decisions."

Good Works: "I will help others and build the kingdom through righteous service."

Integrity: "I will have the moral courage to make my actions consistent with my knowledge of right and wrong."

Virtue: "I will prepare to enter the temple and remain pure and worthy. My thoughts and actions will be based on high moral standards.



This fourth posterboard features all the mia maids that were in my class at the time, along with a coloring page of Noah's Ark by Precious Moments (colored by my 5 year old daughter), and of course CTR colored in the primary colors. Also, here is a shout out to debanae....they are responsible for most of the clip art featured on these poster boards.



This fifth posterboard features some more happy quotes, including the Emily Dickinson quote featured in the lesson.

The quote read as follows:

"Lighten up and enjoy life as it is instead of as it isn't."
--Author Unknown (Quote on the Lady bug)

"Happiness is not getting what you want. It's wanting what you have."
--Author Unknown (Quote on the Turtle)

"May the love hidden deep inside your heart find the love waiting in your dreams. May the laughter that you find in your tomorrow wipe away the pain you find in your yesterdays."
--Author Unknown (Quote on the Heart)

"Search diligently, pray always, and be believing and all things shall work together for your good... If ye walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith ue have covenanted one with another."
--Doctrine & Covenants 90:24 (Quote on the Butterfly)

"They might not need me; but they might
I'll let my head me just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity."
--Emily Dickinson (Quote on the Flower)



The final and sixth posterboard features the Young Women's theme, along with the 3 classes in the Young Women's (Beehive, Mia Maid, Laurel) what they stand for, and then a quote by President Ezra Taft Benson.

Quote: "Give me a young woman who loves home and family, who reads and ponders the scriptures daily, who has a burning testimony of the Book of Mormon. Give me a young woman who faithfully attends her church meetings, who is a seminary graduate, who has earned her Young Womanhood Recognition Award and wears it with pride! Give me a young woman who is virtuous and who has maintained her personal purity, who will not settle for less than a temple marriage, and I will give you a young woman who will perform miracles for the Lord now and throughout eternity."
--President Ezra Taft Benson

Beehives: "The beehive was a symbol of harmony, cooperation, and work for the early pioneers of the Church. Beehive was also the first name by which young women were known. Beehives today learn to work together in cooperation and harmony as they strengthen their faith in Jesus Christ and prepare to stand for truth and righteousness. This is a time to “arise and shine forth” (D&C 115:5)."

Mia Maid: "The name Mia Maid refers historically to the Mutual Improvement Association, which adopted the emblem of the rose as a symbol of love, faith, and purity. Mia Maids today learn about love, faith, and purity as they strengthen their testimony and accept and act upon the Young Women values."

Laurel: "For centuries the laurel wreath has been a crown woven from the leaves of the laurel tree. It is given to someone who finishes a significant achievement as a symbol of honor and accomplishment. Laurels today are finishing their preparation to make and keep sacred covenants and receive the ordinances of the temple."

Young Women's Theme:


Finally here is a picture of the 2-tone flower handouts I created for the girls featuring the poem by Emily Dickinson. I had at least 15 different color combinations for the girls to choose from, this picture just shows the flowers I had leftover, unfortunately I didn't save this handout on my computer to give to you.

2 comments:

  1. Where is this quote of Gordon B. Hinckley from? I try to reseach it with Google. But all I find is the quote for itself, just like your page quoting Gordon B. Hinckley. But I cannot find the sourxe, the occasion, when and where he said it.
    I also researched it in your mentioned manual, but I have not found it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I don't remember when it came from. I actually have it written inside the front cover of my scriptures from Seminary nearly 15 years ago. I tried to research where it came from to, but all I can find it the quote.

      Delete